Under State of Alabama law, Section 13A-11-72, no person convicted in this state or elsewhere of a “crime of violence” may own or poses a pistol. Crimes of violence are defined as murder, manslaughter, rape, assault, robbery, burglary, kidnapping, and in recent rulings some domestic violence charges. No person addicted to drugs or habitually intoxicated may own or poses a pistol. Any person in violation of Alabama’s pistol laws may be arrested and upon conviction, subjected to a term of imprisonment of not more than one year and a fine of not more than $500, or both. The pistol will be seized and may be forfeited by court order.
The State of Alabama recognizes concealed carry pistol permits issued by other states; however, the carrier must observe all applicable laws while in Alabama. (SEE THE BELOW LIST) Also, a person may carry or transport a long gun (rifle or shotgun) without a permit. A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to poses to another without a permit as required by Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:
- The firearm is unloaded.
- Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily assessable or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
- In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console; Title 18 U.S.C., Section 926A.
Alabama Reciprocal Concealed Carry/Pistol Permit Agreement with all other States. To see if other states reciprocate with Alabama you must contact the Attorney General in the state to see what you have to do to carry a weapon into that state.
Permits to carry a concealed weapon in the State of Alabama are issued by the Sheriff’s Office to persons over the age of 18. FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 21, A PISTOL PERMIT IS ONLY GOOD IN THE STATE OF ALABAMA.
Applying for an Autauga County Concealed Carry/Pistol Permit:
Permits may be purchased using cash, check or credit/debit card. If a credit/debit card is used there will be an added processing fee for use.
|1 Year||2 Year||3 Year||4 Year||5 Year|
- An application must be on file for all Applicants. Autauga County Pistol Permit Application
- Pistol permit applications can be downloaded above or obtained at the Autauga County Sheriff’s Office located at 162 W. 4th Street; Prattville, AL 36067 Monday – Friday 8am to 4:30pm. The Administrative/Permit Office is closed all weekends, state and federal holidays.
- You must be a resident of the county in which you are applying for a permit. If the address on the driver’s license is not located in county, other proof of residence may be required.
- The Sheriff’s Office is required to run a criminal history on all persons applying for a pistol permit or renewal. Ensure all requested information is filled in COMPLETELY and ACCURATELY; failure to do so may result in delays or denial of the application.
- Upon completion of the criminal history, if there is no other information needed your permit will be granted. Your picture is required on all permits issued. If there is information on your criminal history that requires a disposition you will be required to get that information from the courts and bring into the Office before a permit can be considered.
- Effective August 2016; Retired Military Veterans may receive a one year pistol permit at no cost upon completion of application and criminal history and presentation of the U.S. Government issued Veteran Identification Card or DD-214 Proof of Military Service Form and sufficient proof that the person is a military retiree. The retired military veteran must still meet the conditions for issuance of a pistol permit.
- Permit Renewals for one year can be mailed; Attn: Pistol Permits, along with the renewal postcard or email, completed application and payment for your renewed permit to be mailed back to you.
If you need more information please calls the Autauga County Sheriff’s Office at (334) 361-2500 and ask for the Pistol Permit office.